The Great West Window overlooking the Nave was installed in 1853. It shows New Testament scenes coupled with Old Testament stories so we see the Nativity of Christ with Moses in the bulrushes, and Christ’s teaching of the Ten Commandments. The window was designed as a memorial to Bishop Edward Stanley. In 1837 Stanley was consecrated Bishop of Norwich. The diocese at this time was conspicuous for ‘laxity and want of discipline’ and this he proceeded to remedy, although at first he met with much opposition. Born in London into a notable Cheshire family, Stanley was the second son of Sir John Stanley, 6th Baronet, and the younger brother of John Stanley, 1st Baron Stanley of Alderley.